Saturday, May 31, 2008

Locked out again

So, we went to the house last night to ooh and aah at our new cabinets, some of which are actually installed, and we couldn't get in! The super-secret-side-door-key was nowhere to be found, so we came home to get the front door key that Terry had rather unceremoniously given us a couple of weeks ago. It, too, had mysteriously vanished.

I had put it on top of our key box right when we got it, so we'd be able to find it, etc. Dennis even said, "yeah, leave it there and we'll get copies made." Neither one of us had any reason to use, move, touch, or otherwise disturb the key since that day. yet, it is not there anymore.

We have a call out to Terry - hopefully he has the side door key in his pocket or has another key to the front door. I know we're not willing to pay weekend rates for a locksmith, but we'd *reallly* like to get in there and do some more painting this weekend, as the floors are not yet in.

In the meantime, Dennis is over there now digging a hole for the front steps. Don't need a key for that.

Anyway, during the many days before the lockout, we made some significant progress on paint, and other people made progress on the master bath. Over the Memorial Day weekend, we had lots of help in the form of Ruby, my friend Sarah, and our incredibly generous (current) neighbors Tom and Sue. I shudder to think how much painting we'd have left to do if we hadn't had so much help. Here are some photos:

May 23
Not too exciting. We got grout in the kitchen & 2nd bath, but it's hard to even tell because the grout haze is still on the tile in these pictures. I think you can at least tell that it looks better than the pre-grouted versions of these photos.




May 26
Significant progress on the painting during the 3-day weekend, thanks to a lot of work from a lot of people. Some rooms are done - with 2 coats of paint on them and everything. Other rooms still require a 2nd coat. Everything except the nursery and the closets have at least a first coat of paint. We're confident there will be a need for touch-ups anyway, but we're trying to do as much as we can before the floors go in. It is really nice not to have to worry about paint drips on the floor!



In the guest bedroom, we had originally decided to go with SW's "Clary Sage." At some times of the day it looked OK, but other times it was just awful, awful, awful! I kept staring at it and saying, "seafoam green! ugh!" So I went one shade darker - "Artichoke." It's still wet in that picture; it dries a little darker than that and is a huge improvement over the Clary Sage. That's what happens when you have to quickly pick paint colors for your new house when you're still in your old, dark house. (No, your eyes are not deceiving you - only one wall is Artichoke so far. I was afraid I wouldn't like it, either, and then we'd have 4 walls of a really dark color to paint over.)




May 27
The beginnings of the shower system being installed. Isn't that a nice orange? Hell, it can be fluorescent rainbow stripes as long as it maintains a water-tight seal. And the whirlpool tub is finally nestled in its little home. The bathroom seems much larger without a giant bathtub in the middle of it.



May 28
A little more progress here. The floor tile in the master bath is in (no grout, of course), and the cabinets were delivered. If anyone is wondering if this baby is eating my brain, here is more evidence - I walked through the garage to get into the house and completely missed the giant stack of boxes pictured. I was so focused on not tripping over the other stuff littering the floor of the garage - I guess I was just concentrating on my footing instead of looking up. At least, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oooh, the artichoke looks great!