Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Heaters

As I was getting out of the shower a couple of days ago (freezing my wet butt off), it occurred to me that we had not heard anything about heaters in the bathrooms in the new house. Turns out that's because there weren't going to be any!

Now, I ask you - what homebuilder does not include bathroom heaters in the original build estimate? I mean, there were vent fans in the estimate. And lights. And walls. And all of the other things that anyone and everyone would put in their house. Yet, somehow, we have no heaters.

And, apparently, bathroom heaters aren't cheap. We're looking at almost $200 for the appliance itself, plus $140 for electrical work because the heater requires its own circuit. (!) Oh - and that is per bathroom. So that's another $680 or so just for heaters.

Still, I don't consider them optional. I have no intention of 30 more years of post-shower butt freeze, and I certainly have no intention of trying to bathe infants and toddlers in a room with no heater.

.................................

In other bathroom news, Dennis and I went over to the house this weekend to investigate alternate layouts of the master bath. Now that things are framed, it seems as though we're using the space very poorly. Indeed, we came up with a much better arrangement... except those stupid half-round windows are in the way! We could have moved the shower to the back corner, but then we would have had about 1/3 of a half-round window in the shower and no real way to enclose the shower.

Turns out I hate those half-round windows in the bathroom. They're so traditional. And nothing else in the house is really traditional in style. I don't know if I realized we were getting the half-rounds or not, but they are specified on the final version of the plans that we signed off on. Probably, I just agreed to it because Terry was pushing them and I was overwhelmed with having to make 1000 decisions about things I didn't know anything about in a very short period of time.

Sadly, there's nothing to be done about it now. The house is framed. The windows are purchased and installed. And I don't think I'm willing to deal with the additional cost and construction delay that would be involved in changing it at this point. Thing is, I know that every time I walk into that bathroom I'll think "I hate those windows." I wonder if therapy is actually cheaper than fixing them.

No comments: